Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A comment in another thread got me to thinking about the worst riding conditions i've been caught in (thanks stratowart:D). I'll bet some of you have some good stories. I think i'm fortuneate as i've always planned ahead so i don't have any extreme experience. I did meet (and help) a guy who did.

1986/7 i rode/drove with my brother from Tacoma, WA to Rathdrum, ID (north of Coeur d' Alene). There was about 3-5 feet of snow on the ground, lots of cars in the ditchs' and a heavy & wet snow was coming down hard.Everything on the ground was frozen. About 20 miles west of Spokane, ID we came up behind a guy on a bike with both feet down to keep himself up. He was doing about 5 mph and sliding around a lot. Luckily we were in my brothers van and loaded the guy and his bike up and gave him a ride the rest of his trip. I believe he said he started out in Seattle. For those that don't know the ride from Seattle to Spokane is about 4 hours on a good day in the middle of summer. That guy was VERY gratefull :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
My worst was riding thru a torrential down pour crossing from Indiana into Kentucky. It was comming down in buckets, but I had to keep going because I was following a freind who knew the way to where we were going, must of been a good 50 miles or so. After it was all said and done, I dumped a few quarts of water out of each of my boots.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
heading back from a cross country trip when it started pouring rain. it was so thick that i couldn't even see my buddy who was in front of me. pretty scary. i decided that i was just gonna pull over under an overpass until it became more visible and he had the exact same idea because we both happened to stop under the same overpass without being able to signal or see each other

·
Registered
318 Posts
It was 1978. My wife and I were doing a tour around Lake Superior. We crossed back into the states at SSM and hit rain. The temp dropped into the high 40s. We had rain suits, but lacked shoe covers so we stopped in a bakery and got bread bags to put on over our socks. We had planned to camp in Copper Harbor, MI but scrapped the idea on account of the weather. It was still raining and cold when we got to Bay Field, WI, and my wife demanded that we press on until we found a motel. Night had fallen when we pulled into a Holiday Inn in Superior, WI. We were told that they had no vacancy so we decided to 'camp' in their lobby. They received a cancellation, and we got a room. Sadly, it was on this day that my wife lost interest in motorcycling. She, somewhat reluctantly, will accompany me on day rides up to 100 miles, but it must be sunny and in the 80s, and it's obvious by her commentary that she isn't really enjoying herself.:(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Coming North from Puerto Escondido, Mx. went entered the Penotepa National Parque, Park, and a hit rain storm that soaked us from the ears down. I had a lake between my legs adn it was not warm. The temp dropped from 85 to 40 degree in 15 minutes. 2 1/2 hours of riding high in the mountainswtih no place to stop. We finally left the forrest, came back down to sea level and found a motel with airconditioning. Everything dried by morning.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Got you all beat,,, although I have not experienced it myself, thank God, BUT:
Picture yourself riding alone on a newly paved winding road thru the rolling hills, perfect temperature and a gorgeous sunny day.....now picture that same ride but severly limited by the poor performance because you are riding a blackcherry colored motorcycle....stuff nightmares are made of I tell ya :D:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Got you all beat,,, although I have not experienced it myself, thank God, BUT:
Picture yourself riding alone on a newly paved winding road thru the rolling hills, perfect temperature and a gorgeous sunny day.....now picture that same ride but severly limited by the poor performance because you are riding a blackcherry colored motorcycle....stuff nightmares are made of I tell ya :D:D
Ha! I got that one beat...imagine the same scenario but you are riding anything other than a black bike! I have nightmares for you poor souls that ride bikes painted other than black! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Ha! I got that one beat...imagine the same scenario but you are riding anything other than a black bike! I have nightmares for you poor souls that ride bikes painted other than black! :eek::eek::eek:
And, Mr. Jarhead1100, ISN'T it true you thought of this "scenario" AFTER that which was first described by a BLUE bike rider?

I have no more questions your Honor, the defendant may step down. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I gotta agree with Jarhead.:p

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
There I was, May 1980, cruising along on my 400 Yamaha Special II in Moses Lake, WA. Then suddenly the sky turned dark. The earth shook. Lightning and thunder!! Mt. St. Helens!! Ash started drifting down, reducing visibility and the rain turned everything to a mudslide horror.:eek:

Nonetheless I pressed on, not knowing that the violent tremors from the eruption had triggered a tsunami!!:(

But I was very fortunate!! The Pacific surge put me onto the elevated porch of a hotel in Leavenworth, WA and that allowed me to survive, albeit covered with lederhosen from the hapless washed-up Bavarians! To this day I can't listen to "The Sound of Music" without being overcome:confused:

I'd tell you how I was able to safely ride off that elevated second-floor veranda and make it to ground level, but that would be another story...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
my black bike was so fast that all the paint got blown off exposing the bone underneath

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oh man, Well I've only been riding since March 2011 so my range is a bit limited, but I did get caught up reciently in a down pour / tornado while efforting my way home. W/ 25 miles to go the temps dropped, visibility was zero, and I was soaked in less than a minute. To add insult to the ordeal, I had just bought a gortex rainsuit the week before but it was home safe and dry in my garage, thanks for the clear forcast weatherman! It took almost an hour to go those 25miles and by the time I rolled in my boots were half full.

Still beats the damn commuter bus though...;)

mk

·
Registered
923 Posts
Had something similar happen yesterday DC, no mention of rain in the forecast, nothing on the radar. I somehow found the only rain around, for 15 miles...of a 25 mile ride.

Not sent from my bike on the iPhone, that would be crazy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts