Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, haven't been active for about a month, and during that time, I have a major information update regarding the '2018 Yamaha SVTC 'Solution'....

I can type freely now, and will give you all the full details of what has transpired with me, regarding that Yamaha 'Solution'.

As follows,

I had for the last month, a 2021 loaner, that was given me, so I could familiarize myself with any difference and changes from the DEFAULT 2018 SVTC, with the only one software download.

That said, I just picked up my bike from my Dealership where Yamaha had been accessing it, as a base 'used' 2018, and yesterday, I got a call that my bike (my red 2018 SVTC) has been completely (all electronic modules) electronically and latest Harman Kardon Software Suite, rebuilt. Everything that was 2018 was stripped off, and 2021 O.E.M. parts installed in place of them.

What does that mean? They (Yamaha) brought all the actual parts (modules, boards, wire harness (yes..there are changes there), and (three Yamaha Canada Tech's, spent 8 hours, with one hour for lunch, on my bike...totally removing ALL MY HARDWARE, (EVERYTHING THAT CAME STOCK IN THE 2018 MODEL YEAR), WIRING WHERE NEEDED TO BE REMOVED, MADE RIGHT SIDE FAIRING ELECTRONICS COMPARTMENT MODIFICATIONS TO HOUSE THE NEW MODULES, (THEY ARE NOT APPARENTLY SAME SIZE, SHAPE, SO HAD TO MODIFY MY RIGHT SIDE ELECTRONIC COMPARTMENT INTERIOR TO FIT.

This all took three tech.s (each working on the bike in specific areas...they had to strip down the bike, from tank, back to the top trunk..was all removed because of the wiring harness!!) 7 hours to RE and RE my bike, and put it back together.

My dealer, watched (they allowed him to...) watched the entire process, and said that he could never have done it...it was a very complicated job...most of the bike was rebuilt from seat height up.

So...the BOTTOM LINE, friends...is that I TRULY...truly have a 2021 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental, (all the parts that differentiate it from a 2018, hardware/software) but in RED, instead of Blue or White. The entire bike has every hardware and software installed as a 2021 SVTC coming off the assembly line.

So...how does one who is reading this, get their 2018 converted into a 2021 'Solution'?

THERE WILL BE NO, (I REPEAT), NO GENERAL SOLUTION/UPDATE RECALL. EACH OWNER MUST FIRST CONTACT THEIR SELLING DEALER, AND MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THEM, REGARDING THIS UPDATE BOOKING AND PROCESS. I REPEAT...THERE WILL BE NO GENERAL UPDATE RECALL. YOU MUST INITIATLE THE START OF THE PROCEDURE YOURSELVES.

So, that is the final 'skinny'. I will be spending a few days setting up my '2021' Red SVTC once more, as everything was lost, when all the new hardware, 2021 maps, software, was installed on and in my bike.

Am I thrilled with this outcome? I sure am!

I will over the next few days, record down all my software version numbers...GPS, maps, and post them to this thread.
Post Edit: I have now published my Master Software Version and GPS Map Version below on this thread. Cheers!

Cheers,:cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
So Yamaha has lifted the muzzle? Does anyone have to prove there is something wrong with their bike or do they just let their dealer know they want the update?

I wonder how this translates to subsequent owners (i.e. someone that buys a used bike that hasn't had the procedure done).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So Yamaha has lifted the muzzle? Does anyone have to prove there is something wrong with their bike or do they just let their dealer know they want the update?

I wonder how this translates to subsequent owners (i.e. someone that buys a used bike that hasn't had the procedure done).
Hi Brad, my 'end of journey' was a result of three years of bit**ing to my dealer about this 'n that. So, i don't know what to tell you...other than...call your dealer...state you are NOT HAPPY with the state of affairs regarding your 2018 software and hardware...and light the match...

I literally have a 2021 model now, other than the fact it was going down the Assembly Line in early 2018. Wow...it took three guys 7 hours of constant work as a team to rebuild my bike to a virtual 2021 model year.

I can reply to any question now...no repercussions with that....and I forgot to say, that they had to download files/software from Japan, the U.S. and their partner, Harman Kardon, as they programmed the virgin CPU Module at the dealers...to install the 2021 model year footprint'.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I don't have a SVTC but I've followed many of you that have. I love the look of the bike and what appears to be a very comfortable long distance ride. But I'm not currently looking to buy, but it could be something I'm interested in down the road, hence my question regarding if this is only available to original purchasers.

I'm just a tire kicker looking through the window at all this. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I don't have a SVTC but I've followed many of you that have. I love the look of the bike and what appears to be a very comfortable long distance ride. But I'm not currently looking to buy, but it could be something I'm interested in down the road, hence my question regarding if this is only available to original purchasers.

I'm just a tire kicker looking through the window at all this. :ROFLMAO:
Because they would be doing it under the guise of Warranty, (this entire procedure, labor and parts cost me as the original owner, nothing) so it would be to the original purchaser.

Could you imagine every Joe Blow out there, that would try and buy a used 2018, hopefully for dirt cheap, and them demand that it be flipped to a 2021. Ain't gonna happen, and the reason they are not doing a General Recall, is that because it will take effort from the owner...a lot of folks will simply shrug and move on. If it were a recall notice...Yamaha would be shelling out like crazy. It's going to be a 'see who throws mud, and what sticks to the wall'.... (My take...not official), other than that they are not issuing a General Recall, but will look at a request, per bike, per owner, per complaint/issue(s) history, basis on basis. That was communicated to my Dealer, and then told to me,, through my conversation with him yesterday when I got the call to come and return the 2021 loaner, and ride home on my red '2021' SVTC. That was the criteria for my procedure done, and with a very 'in-my-corner' Dealer. He 'had my back'.
Cheers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
is there any difference between the 2020 and 2021 SVT? I have the 2020 and don't seem to have the same software issues.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
is there any difference between the 2020 and 2021 SVT? I have the 2020 and don't seem to have the same software issues.
That, I would not know...but can only figure that with the varied differences with modules,, between the 2018 and the 2021, most likely, those changes were happening also for the 2020 model year. Just my personal assumption. Question: What is your Master System Software version? I'd like to compare to mine, and thanks!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As promised, here are my System versions: Master System Software and GPS Map Version:

Apparently, the 2021 production year was outfitted with a 4 rth quarter map file from Feb 22/2019 This could be the latest and 'current' map file from Harman Kardon, and that can explain the almost two year old data file, rather than Yamaha not wishing to install a map version file created from road data, from 2021. This is probably it...

The 2020 model has System version 12.1.1 (I surmise)
The 2021 has System version 12.2.0

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC
67 Posts
Weird. Here's my 2018 without any rip & replace. The software version is what can be downloaded from the Yamaha website, and the map is what was purchased from NaviExtras in 08/2020.

Same Software version, same Map ID.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Weird. Here's my 2018 without any rip & replace. The software version is what can be downloaded from the Yamaha website, and the map is what was purchased from NaviExtras in 08/2020.

Same Software version, same Map ID.

View attachment 109622
That's cool! But, I believe you are still running the 2018 modules, right? That is the difference between your build and mine, right now. I know that there was a warning not to download onto the 2018 modules, this version, as Yamaha stated it could bork your ride. If you are running fine..than maybe other's might wish to chance it... Not saying to do so...but whatever, right? Being that I never did your pathway..I can only comment on the speed and look of my R12.2.0 and 2021 modules, or what they put into the on-assembly 2021's. They also had to download files and software last Thursday, from Japan, The U.S. and from Harmon Kardan themselves, to install their 'solution'. I'd imagine that if it was only merely a download of this software, no way would Yamaha have had techs removing all my 2018 effects, putting in 2021 O.E.M. parts and going that route. So...quite interesting, your experience. I also see that our production runs ID's are not the same, so a difference right there. Yours ends with the numeral 2, and my ends with a code of 'S', which usually if alphabetical, means that it is a revised part or edition. I guess a modification or late add on. Tinker, how is your GPS/Navigation map and display...would you say you are satisfied with the animation performance?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Day two of after rebuild, and having Red 21 home. My wife and I went over to Lake Huron, a superb day for a ride...and for her to check out her Co-Rider helmet settings and her personal choices on the 2 Zone Entertainment Setup. So, we did that, and all is back to how we both liked the bike set up, internally. I realize that I could have saved the entire setup to a USB stick...and have now done that. The bike is running as a champ, and I can now really appreciate the on-board Navigation System. It works...these two last rides,, as it SHOULD have worked for the last three years. But, that is now merely 'water under the bridge', and I should let that go...and will.

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts

Err….that would be me. Can I ask what the issue was in the first place? I wouldn’t want my bike being torn apart like that. I haven’t been aware of any deficiencies with mine so I’ll just live with it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Err….that would be me. Can I ask what the issue was in the first place? I wouldn’t want my bike being torn apart like that. I haven’t been aware of any deficiencies with mine so I’ll just live with it.
There are multiple issues with the 2018 year, if you have a SVTC, your Intercom rider/co-rider communications will bleed and be broadcast over the C.B. channel you have selected if the C.B. is also on. Everybody has had this. Yamaha is well aware of the software/hardware module defect. Navigation...when not in a dedicated guide session, no, or very little cross street names appear before the bike icon. Also, you can be 1,000 feet beyond a highway intersection, and only then does the icon show approaching it. Also, no names of coming up exits. Many things needed to be fixed. With my running R12.2.0, and that controlling the 2021 series year hardware modules, all that has been corrected. Many, many things were not only corrected, but their performance was enhanced. Very happy with having them having done 'major surgery'. My bike is complete now...in features, and in the hardware/software that basically controls the whole bike.

·
Registered
2018 Star Venture TC
11 Posts
Hello all, haven't been active for about a month, and during that time, I have a major information update regarding the '2018 Yamaha SVTC 'Solution'....

I can type freely now, and will give you all the full details of what has transpired with me, regarding that Yamaha 'Solution'.

As follows,

I had for the last month, a 2021 loaner, that was given me, so I could familiarize myself with any difference and changes from the DEFAULT 2018 SVTC, with the only one software download.

That said, I just picked up my bike from my Dealership where Yamaha had been accessing it, as a base 'used' 2018, and yesterday, I got a call that my bike (my red 2018 SVTC) has been completely (all electronic modules) electronically and latest Harman Kardon Software Suite, rebuilt. Everything that was 2018 was stripped off, and 2021 O.E.M. parts installed in place of them.

What does that mean? They (Yamaha) brought all the actual parts (modules, boards, wire harness (yes..there are changes there), and (three Yamaha Canada Tech's, spent 8 hours, with one hour for lunch, on my bike...totally removing ALL MY HARDWARE, (EVERYTHING THAT CAME STOCK IN THE 2018 MODEL YEAR), WIRING WHERE NEEDED TO BE REMOVED, MADE RIGHT SIDE FAIRING ELECTRONICS COMPARTMENT MODIFICATIONS TO HOUSE THE NEW MODULES, (THEY ARE NOT APPARENTLY SAME SIZE, SHAPE, SO HAD TO MODIFY MY RIGHT SIDE ELECTRONIC COMPARTMENT INTERIOR TO FIT.

This all took three tech.s (each working on the bike in specific areas...they had to strip down the bike, from tank, back to the top trunk..was all removed because of the wiring harness!!) 7 hours to RE and RE my bike, and put it back together.

My dealer, watched (they allowed him to...) watched the entire process, and said that he could never have done it...it was a very complicated job...most of the bike was rebuilt from seat height up.

So...the BOTTOM LINE, friends...is that I TRULY...truly have a 2021 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental, (all the parts that differentiate it from a 2018, hardware/software) but in RED, instead of Blue or White. The entire bike has every hardware and software installed as a 2021 SVTC coming off the assembly line.

So...how does one who is reading this, get their 2018 converted into a 2021 'Solution'?

THERE WILL BE NO, (I REPEAT), NO GENERAL SOLUTION/UPDATE RECALL. EACH OWNER MUST FIRST CONTACT THEIR SELLING DEALER, AND MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THEM, REGARDING THIS UPDATE BOOKING AND PROCESS. I REPEAT...THERE WILL BE NO GENERAL UPDATE RECALL. YOU MUST INITIATLE THE START OF THE PROCEDURE YOURSELVES.

So, that is the final 'skinny'. I will be spending a few days setting up my '2021' Red SVTC once more, as everything was lost, when all the new hardware, 2021 maps, software, was installed on and in my bike.

Am I thrilled with this outcome? I sure am!

I will over the next few days, record down all my software version numbers...GPS, maps, and post them to this thread.
Post Edit: I have now published my Master Software Version and GPS Map Version below on this thread. Cheers!

Cheers,:cool:
Glad to hear you are back with the muzzle off and that you are happy with the mods. Curious to know if you were given any special instructions for future software or map updates since I presume your model year/VIN are now out of sync with the new hardware/software? Will you update as a 2018 or 2021 or something else? I'm considering pushing my dealer to get me the upgrade but I don't want a whole new set of problems with future updates. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Glad to hear you are back with the muzzle off and that you are happy with the mods. Curious to know if you were given any special instructions for future software or map updates since I presume your model year/VIN are now out of sync with the new hardware/software? Will you update as a 2018 or 2021 or something else? I'm considering pushing my dealer to get me the upgrade but I don't want a whole new set of problems with future updates. Any insight would be appreciated.
All is running fantastic...VERY HAPPY...and yes, my bike is now for all intents and purposes, electronically...a 2021 model. The only thing truly still 2018, is the frame tag with date of manufacture (down the assembly line). Electronically, it is a full 2021 hardware bay...with the latest H.K. module revisions. Any further updates, my bike will be seen 'electronically' for downloads, as a 2021/22 (module release).

This turned out to be major 'brain surgery'. So, expect to lose your bike for 3 days, to a week, as the tech(s) will be lobotomizing the 2018 gear, and reinserting, with some needed right side, Electronics Bay, modification. Also, I had to have part of my wiring harness also updated. I had three techs, working for 7 1/2 'actual' hours to RE and RE my bike. After I got it back...just wonderful 'everything'...not one 'bump in the road'...and now, for myself, NOTHING to bitch about! Absolutely...nothing. This is now the bike, and 'working's that I thought I was buying three years ago. That's the best description I can give. VERY HAPPY now! VERY! 😍 😁👏👍

Post Edit. When they come with all the gear and hardware, one of them will be the main CPU Module, that will be factory 'virgin'. With that, part of the process is that the tech in charge of that part, will contact three sources, 1. Japan (the factory computer), 2. Yamaha U.S.A. to source files from there, and finally, from Harman Kardon themselves, and their support network. All those files and downloads will form your high level Master Control Module, where your Master Software will sit, as well as the 'slave' chips ROM's that will control all the other supportive 'slave' modules. That took awhile I was told...to sort that all out, so perhaps that ate a lot of those 7 1/2 actual hours milling around my bike, lol!

Just so you know...this is not being handled as a recall...it is how much 'juice' can be squeezed outta Yamaha, with your Dealer and you, as the twisters at the top of the juice mill.... I and my dealer really thought this was going to be in the end, a general outcome, but it appears as always with you-know-who..to be a chuck mud on the Corporate Wall and see what sticks... Good luck...and if you get all done, I am most assured by my experience that you will be all thrilled as get out! I certainly am!...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts