Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just introduced myself over in the new guy area. I've been on a 2008 Roadliner for 9 yrs. now. Love that bike, and I might be on it for another nine but for three things: 1) want a sixth gear; 2) want ABS; 3) want cruise control. The wind and weather protection on the Venture is obviously a big improvement as well.

I sat on a 2018 GoldWing the other day and I have never had a more pronounced "on, not in" feeling on a motorcycle. My knees banged right into that fairing edge, too. Probably has something to do with me being 6'7", but that thing is an ergonomic nightmare for me. Hunched over and hemmed in. Ruled that one out quick.

I haven't test ridden a Venture yet but as much as I love the 'liner I can't imagine I wouldn't be pleased with it. I'm a believer in that Yamaha 113.

My concern with the Venture is this: aftermarket seats. I wasted several years riding less on my 'liner before I found my way to an Ultimate (w/ backrest), and I doubt I'll ever be able to settle for much less. In spending just a few minutes on the Venture, I know I'm not gonna like that seat. Doesn't look like there's much of an aftermarket for this bike yet, and I'm not sure there's ever going to be. That's my main concern about the Venture, and frankly, it might be enough to keep me away. Gotta be comfortable. I love the overall ergos on Yamaha's big bikes. They know how to make some room. The seats, though...I tend not to be a fan.

Anyhow, I've been reading all around about the Venture for many months, and I know--even from the beginning of the Venturerider.org days with the 2018--that those of you who are owners are pretty well universally happy with your purchase. I'll keep following you guys as you put the miles on, and maybe I'll be joining you in 2019.

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I too have concerns regarding the seat. I have an ultimate seat for my roadstar and have loved it for over 10 years. I spoke to ultimate seats and they have no plans at this time to make a seat for the venture. An option that is a big seller in the seat world is Russell seats. They use your existing seat pan to construct a custom seat. If I end up with the Venture and need to replace the seat, this will be the route I'll probably pursue.

https://day-long.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
I suggest you butt press the OEM for at least 2,000 miles, before you toss it to the curb. At least a thousand...:)
Agree. There is an acclimatization/break-in for seats and 2k is a reasonable time/distance. This bike may be the exception and I may like it. I've only spent an hour on a demo. No rush since at this point, I'm waiting for the 19 models or a deal on the leftover 18s.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That is certainly unique! Is that alligator and snake?
Yes, but It’s “Marine Grade” material. Real alligator or snake would not last a year in a bike or the environment we ride in.
It is the best on the market and will last about 8-10 years under heavy riding conditions.
I have yet to find anyone who can tell it’s not “real” skins. Most people think I dropped at least $2k on the seat, but in reality it was FAR LESS.
There’s a couple I know in Franklinton who have 6 mobile trailers set up as tailoring shops that travel to car, bike, boat events and do custom work VERY reasonably.

I set up an appointment, rode to their house while they did it in about 4.5 hrs and then I rode home on it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments and advice, guys. Good to hear your recommendations on the stock seat and tall backrest, YPE. A good stock seat is a rarity! That tall backrest may be enough to get me there--no doubt it's worth a shot. Mercifully, I really don't have back problems, unless I'm sitting on an MC seat for hours without a backrest. That Ultimate set-up really did the trick for me. If the stock seat and tall OEM backrest don't work, the Russel day-long route seems like the next choice.

I'd guess Ultimate isn't wading in for one of two reasons: 1)they checked out the stock seat and they figure it's good enough most would stick with the original; 2)they don't figure there will be enough SVTCs and Eluders sold to justify their effort. I'd guess it's 2 while hoping it's 1.

Chief, you have absolutely taken that Venture to the level of "big pimpin'!" I mean that in the most positive way. Love it!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the comments and advice, guys. Good to hear your recommendations on the stock seat and tall backrest, YPE. A good stock seat is a rarity! That tall backrest may be enough to get me there--no doubt it's worth a shot. Mercifully, I really don't have back problems, unless I'm sitting on an MC seat for hours without a backrest. That Ultimate set-up really did the trick for me. If the stock seat and tall OEM backrest don't work, the Russel day-long route seems like the next choice.

I'd guess Ultimate isn't wading in for one of two reasons: 1)they checked out the stock seat and they figure it's good enough most would stick with the original; 2)they don't figure there will be enough SVTCs and Eluders sold to justify their effort. I'd guess it's 2 while hoping it's 1.

Chief, you have absolutely taken that Venture to the level of "big pimpin'!" I mean that in the most positive way. Love it!
Thanks Cliff. Ultimate DOES make a backrest that fits the stock seat, but it does NOT have heat capability like the Yamaha one. Also, they’re not doing a complete seat. With some Small mods like 1” ballistic gel like I’ve done, you can have something great for a lot less.
Forgot to mention for that sake of anyone reading. People ship them their seats from all over the country to have them done.
They work very closely with the client on material & design choices to really make it “one of a kind”. It’s what they specialize in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just bought my Royal Star Venture and the previous owner used Spencer at http://www.greatdaytoride.com.

The seat is the best motorcycle seat I’ve bet been on. Previous owner said this was the 3rd bike he’s had the seat done by this guy and perfect every time. Actually he texted me today saying his butt missed his old seat.

I’ve read through his FAQs and get a great impression this guy is good. I can recommend the comfort first hand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just bought my Royal Star Venture and the previous owner used Spencer at Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods.

The seat is the best motorcycle seat I’ve bet been on. Previous owner said this was the 3rd bike he’s had the seat done by this guy and perfect every time. Actually he texted me today saying his butt missed his old seat.

I’ve read through his FAQs and get a great impression this guy is good. I can recommend the comfort first hand.
I had him do my Kawi Nomad back in the day. He did not turn it into a touring saddle but I was still pleased.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts